24 May 2016

Elizabeth Taylor (1932 – 2011): Favorite Movies

So many of the glamorous stars from back in my day are no longer with us. If I'm being honest, I would have to say that I like many of these people only when they are performing in front of the camera. In their personal lives, these “ordinary people” are far from being bright stars. They “act like” they couldn't be truly happy to save their lives.

Elizabeth Taylor was one of those people. Watched a documentary of her life and film career. Would have given this program an A Plus (A+) if the narrator had not mentioned his 2 favorite Taylor movies. Beep! Wrong! Neither one of those films made my faves list. Had to give the program an A Minus (A-). (Apologies. Can't remember the name of the documentary program.)



The three (not two) motion pictures (along with Liz Taylor quotes), that made an impression on me were:

National Velvet (1944)
“ … by knowing the Pi can win and telling him so!”
“Oh mother! Were we the best that we could be?”

 
Giant (1956)
"Well, we Texans like a little bit of vinegar in our greens. It gives them flavor." {NOTE: This is what Jordan Benedict (played by Rock Hudson) said to his wife, Leslie Benedict (Elizabeth Taylor's character). But it's the line etched in my memory.}

 
Cleopatra (1963)
“How DARE you and the rest of your barbarians set fire to my library? Play conqueror all you want, Mighty Caesar! Rape, murder, pillage thousands, even millions of human beings! But neither you nor any other barbarian has the right to destroy one human thought!”

 
I was much more forgiving in my rating of top ten (10) lists published by The Hollywood Reporter (“Elizabeth Taylor's 10 Most Iconic Roles”) and Fandango (“Liz Taylor: 10 Memorable Movie Roles”).  Since both sites mentioned my 3 picks, they get an A Plus Plus (A++).  :)




Slide 5. + Fashion Icons of the Era ~ Noted icons of the 1950’s were: ~ Audrey Hepburn ~ Grace Kelly ~ Marilyn Monroe ~ Elizabeth Taylor




Search This Blog?

Custom Search

Need to Expand Search?

Custom Search